Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Auction Time

       I belong to a woodworkers group known as "Chips off the ole block" or "Chips" for short.    Their slogan is "Come see what we saw".     Each December, all members do a project or two and there is a silent auction that goes on in the public library for any of the items that were made.    For this week I just wanted to show some of the items that this club produced.   There are a variety of projects from Christmas ornaments to some really neat furniture (And of course one bird feeder).    It is a time where a member can show off his talents and I have to admit that there are some very talented members in this group. 

     One of the interesting projects that amazed me was where one member has this talent for doing a picture using intarsia.  Intarsia is a woodworking technique that uses varied shapes, sizes, and species of wood fitted together to create a mosaic-like picture with an illusion of depth. Intarsia is created through the selection of different types of wood, using their natural grain pattern and color (but can involve the use of stains and dyes) to create variations in the pattern.    I have seen some of his other intarsia pictures and have to say that it is something or a level of woodworking that I will never get to.  (I think one has to have some form of artistic talent.)  Final bid on this one was $125.00. 

   There were a lot of smaller items to bid on.    The bid on the bird house project of mine ended up at  $100.00.    All the proceeds from these projects are placed in a fund and throughout the year the club donates to various community projects.    This December the club gave over $650.00 to the Kossuth County food pantry.   Those funds were to provide hams for Christmas dinner to those people on their needs list.   Hopefully this helps some.    I know that from the donations that the club has made in the past,  helps with the bidding process as some people may like the item they are bidding on but also know that they are helping to contribute to a good community cause.  



  To the right is a solid oak bookcase that went for $250.00.    Next to the wall is a Curio Display case with glass shelves that went for $175.00.   The rocking horse was made out of solid oak.    The builder of that project said it was the 28th one that he has made.   The rocking horse went for $200.00

   There were a couple of Nantucket type benches and the most popular item was a blanket chest with glass sides.  (Sorry - Did not get a picture of that.)  In the final moments of the bidding it just happened that there were two women who wanted to take that home and just kept on bidding against each other.    (Thankfully, I was not married to either one of them.)










 There was also lots of Children's furniture and some lawn furniture.   I have not seen the final total yet, but the last worksheet I had seen showed a number that more than exceeded $3000.00.  

  It was my first year to be able to help with a venture like this.   There was a variety of projects and every project had a bid and was sold.     There were 50 items all in all.   (Even though it brought a good price, I'm afraid that next year we will have to step up from the bird feeder phase.   Perhaps a cat kennel would be something that one could easily market.  I'll have to give that a little more thought.)

Till next week, stay safe.    Enjoy the anticipation of the season to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment