A while back I was asked by my niece, Erin, if I could make a stand for her to place her monitor on at work. I asked if she could get me a picture of one and she did. In fact the picture came with a ruler laying beside the stand so I had all the measurements. This turned out to be one of those projects where I could put a Dean Koontz audio book in the player and go into the world of unusual fiction while I worked on this project.
First my partner and I have to do a little planning - you know - Where are we going to source the wood, what stain should we use, etc. While this is a simple project, it will be at Erin's workplace for the whole world to see. One needs to do some figuring. (This could be the start of a new career thing - designing and making monitor stands for who knows who. Maybe Bill Gates will want one. If I can be busy enough, maybe I could hire a real human buddy.)
Of course sourcing the wood was not a problem. I am pretty sure that the wood in the picture to the right actually came from an evergreen tree that was salvaged about 10 years ago. I have used this wood in the past for some rough projects. It is strong enough, but I avoid using it for furniture projects because wood from an evergreen tree seems to be loaded with knots. I ran this board through the planer and it cleaned up very nice. One thing about pine is the grain pattern is very bold.
I chose a colonial maple stain for this (Mostly because I had a little left in a can that I needed to use up). The stand is 24 inches long and about 10 1/2 inches wide. The inside height is 3 inches. I will have to follow up with Erin on this stand. It does not have any nails or screws to bond it all together. Just used some of my favorite old Tite Bond Glue. I had to suffer through a little bit of sanding and I routered off the edges rounding them over a little. When done, I put some felt buttons on the bottom so it could be moved around on the desk top without scratching or maring the desk.
The picture to the right is Erin's work place and I guess the stand was made to hold "two" monitors. (Anybody know how to get a hold of Bill Gates?)
Hopefully it does the job. It was a fun little project. (By the way, I need another one of those simple fun little projects because I am only on Disc 7 of a 15 disc audio book.)
No comments:
Post a Comment