A couple years ago, Pam brought home a kids' wagon. I'm not sure where it came from, I only know that one day there was no wagon around and the next there was this wagon parked in the front yard with a pot of flowers sitting in it. (Stuff like that seems to happen quite often around here.) I am not the decorator of the partnership that we have, but it looked nice. And it was handy to have the pot of flowers on wheels so when one mowed the lawn one could move the wagon out of the way. Once in awhile when the grand kids came to visit, I could set the pot of flowers on the ground and pull them around in the wagon. If their parents would have seen how bad of shape this wagon was in, I think it could have been an issue.
The wagon was not new when we got it, but it was in pretty good shape. Over time, as it would rain or as the flowers were watered daily, the wooden box of the wagon seemed to self- destruct. Last fall when I was putting the wagon away, it just fell apart. I was thinking maybe it is time to break it down and squeeze it into the trash container. Since it was made out of wood, I thought I would add it to the list of things to fix and try to patch it up over winter so it could once again be used to hold potted flowers. (In the process I might even make a few points with the flower lady which I can always use a few extra points.) I had plenty of pressure treated wood in the scrap pile and I bought a small sheet of 1/2 inch pressure treated plywood to use on the bottom. As I was taking the box apart, I discovered that only the bottom was rotten. The sides were made out of oak and structurally were still in pretty good shape. They just needed to be sanded down a little (Oh I love sanding - gag...) and cleaned up.
Once assembled with the new plywood bottom I applied some stain from an old can sitting around to the oak sides. Then, I applied some exterior Spar varnish to all the wood parts to help protect the wood against the elements - mainly water. What I did do different with this box is I drilled some 3/4 inch holes in the middle and in each corner hoping that this will drain any excess water that may build up.. Before, this water would just sit in the wagon which I feel helped the rotting process. I cleaned up the wheels and put them back on and we are ready for some flowering plants. I'm hoping that it will last a couple more years.
Once assembled I thought about taking my crabby friend to the St. Patrick's day parade in my new wagon. I tried to teach her to sit up and wave one paw at the crowd. You know, kind of like a queen of some sorts. Training her to wave her front paw in a slow figure eight movement with the pads facing out was a little difficult. Smile and show your teeth - Well, okay don't show your teeth. Okay don't smile. (I think dogs can smile - what's with cats anyway.)
No comments:
Post a Comment