Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Paper Towel Holder

  At one time I was e-mailed a pattern for a paper towel holder and asked if I would make one.   The pattern is on a Wood Magazine web site.     This is another one of those plans that is classified as a  "Weekend" project  and it could be if one stuck with it.     There are only four pieces to make here so how tough can that be?    Well, the first is the spindle that holds the paper towels.   I was thinking that I could use a large dowel, but the plan called for a little lathe work so I glued two boards together and trimmed them off so that I had one board that was 1.5 inches square.  


 I have a nice Delta mini lathe and I have a lot of the turning tools, but I have not spent a lot of time turning any wood.    In fact since I have been blogging for almost two years now I don't think I have done a project that involved the wood lathe.    Turning this spindle down to an inch and a quarter was a pretty easy project.  Putting a couple nice round knobs on each end was not so tricky either.   (It looks like I'm focused on my work, but in my mind I am thinking about bowl turning.    I gotta try that some day.)   I have seen some pens that have been turned on the lathe.  That looks like it would be a fun project.   I have seen some very nice bowl work at the fair.  I bought the lathe and tools a long time ago with the idea that I would spend more time turning wood.    (Someday I will have my booth at the State Fair.)


   I said there were four pieces to this project.   The picture to the right shows the other three.    It sounds like the cabinets where this will go have a natural oak color so I made this out of white oak.   Both the spindles and the holder.      The plan came with a nice pattern to do the sides.    I just put it in the copy machine and expanded the size so that the copy came out matching the correct measurements.     Then I made two copies and using school glue, I glued a copy to each of the side pieces.   I then cut out the pieces on my scroll saw.   When I was done, I just sanded the paper off.

 The picture to the left is the end project.     This paper towel holder is one that will be mounted against the wall under the cabinets.    It was another one of those weekend projects that lasted a little longer for me.

My buddy has her Halloween hat on and is ready to scare the "trick and treat" kids away tonight.   For two weeks the wife has not allowed me to open those candy bags in the cupboard.    I'm thinking the less kids tonight - the more left over candy.       So Cat - tonight we both will be wearing our crabby expressions.  (That is a natural stance for this cat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment