Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I Want to Whine a Little Bit - Part III

   This past week I aged a little more.   Yep.   I had another one of those birthday moments that came and went.    It was nice.   I received a few texts, a few e-mails, a few phone calls, and a few cards.    It seemed like most of the birthday cards that I received  were centered around dog stories and pictures.  (For instance - do you know how old you are in dog years? That hurt...)    People I know must understand how I feel about cats.  Or maybe it is just hard to find cards with cat pictures on them or cat cards that can cheer you up when it comes to the aging process.    (I don't know of too many things that can cheer you up when it comes to the aging process!)    Anyway, that day is past and the wife is once again living with an older man.
    This is the third week that I have blogged about the wine rack.   In fact tonight it is on its way to the wood club to be auctioned off over the next four weeks.   It has been awhile since I have taken on a new piece of furniture like this and it seemed to take a little longer to complete. (I think it is due to all the sanding one has to do.  Have I ever expressed how I feel about sanding?)
    After completing the building of the rack last week, I started this week by dismantling the top and taking out the shelves in order to buff out any little spots that needed attention.
    The picture to the left was taken showing a product that I used called "pre-stain"   You apply it like varnish only it goes on before the stain goes on.    It helps fill in some of those pores in the wood that are a little softer.    Later as you apply the stain it covers a little more uniform.   It's helps prevent those blotchy spots that sometimes occur.


    The stain that I used was named "Gunstock".   I have never used it before, but the plans suggested that color so I went with it.
    The color is a bright brown with an orange tint.   It does not sound very pretty, but I liked it and plan to use it on some future pieces that I will work on some day.  (I think it is one of those colors that as you keep drinking more homemade cough syrup, it starts to grow on you.)  
 


 
   The picture to the left is of the top.   It is probably a "DAG" thing, but I try to focus on the top. I think it is the area that always catches your eye.   If it looks nice, perhaps people will not notice some other flaws in the project.    (It's like the top of your head.   If your hair is combed and in place, people won't notice that you may have a rip in your pants.  Okay, that was just a thought...)   I have to say that I do have some flaws in this project, but I am proud of how the top turned out.




      The picture to the right shows three of the four bottle racks or shelves.    They will set on support pins in the side of the rack.
      When I varnish I like to use an old sour cream dip container to hold the varnish.   I always try to avoid dipping the brush into the can of varnish itself.  Instead I pour a little out of the can into a container like this and seal the can back up.    When doing it this way,  it keeps the product that is in the can  a little cleaner.    Plus in between coats I just pop the lid back on the dip container.   (Also it is a good reason to keep loading up on potato chip dip at the store.)




    Club projects are put on a silent auction.  I am guessing that there will be about 20 to 25 different items to display - some small, some large.
    I have no idea where the bidding for this wine rack will start or how much it will bring.  I do know that I have about $60.00 in materials invested in this project.
    Most likely, If I were to include a couple bottles of wine in the rack, it would sell a little faster.
    Finally, (after three blogs) that is it for the wine rack and my little whining sessions.    Next week I will update you on how the auction is going and I will also try and get you to a site that will display several of the projects that are for sale.

  Have a great week all you "young" people out there.
 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That turned out great. I do really like that color on it. My only problem is I never have wine to store. It always goes into my fridge and then into me.

    ReplyDelete