I just finished reading a few internet web sites such as "Five ways to beat the winter time blues". Another one was "Seven ways to beat the Winter Blahs". It seems like it has been quite awhile since the weather has been this cold. I don't have heat in the garage shop (
the thought process was who will ever need it) although I do have a small propane heater that I fire up when working out there. The problem is that while the little heating element is bright red my footsies still get cold.
 |
What do you mean I spend to much time on the computer and not enough time petting your little head? |
Even the Super Bowl was a little blah this year. I was trying to stay focused on the game, but all I could think of was the cost of putting an ad on TV during the Super Bowl. I had heard the price was $133,000 per second. One second's worth would be enough to build me a warm shop with new tools. (
I would even fork out enough for a large self cleaning litter box.)
So this week I found myself sitting at the computer working on my second past time - Bookkeeping for two organizations plus working on our own tax stuff. Not only was that fun, but I managed to keep a space heater at my desk so I could keep my little toes warm. (
Wow look at the meter spin!)
 |
| Trimming one side of the leg giving it a curved appearance. |
I did spend a little time this week continuing to work on the burr oak and my little bench project. Most of what I got done was trimming up the edges and sanding. I have mentioned that Pam, my wife, retired the first of the year and I'm looking forward to her helping me work on stuff. I did schedule some classes (
taught my DAG himself in our basement) showing the proper method to running the electrical sander. So far attendance has not been too good.
(Zero attendance.) I even took her along on a shopping trip to Menards to look at various kinds of sandpaper. (
Currently I'm reading a book on how to motivate your employees.)
 |
| Filling in those Knot holes |
To the right is a picture of the board that will become the seat. It is 13 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches thick. It has three knots that are giving me a little problem. The knots themselves are cracked and leave a little rough spot. That is not good since it is a seat. Here I used a little wood filler. I have done this before. I have used filler that is the same color as the wood. I have used black filler. This time I used a walnut stained filler. The knots are a darker color so I'm hoping that this will end up blending in nice.
 |
| Four sheets of sand paper later... |
The picture to the left shows where I am at as of tonight.
(I know, I know - I should of had more done than this, but it has been cold. Also the year end book-work and the new year budget that need to be set up. And then there are the Super Bowl parties.)
While it has been a lot of work, I do like the way this burr oak is coming together. It has sanded real smooth. It will be interesting to see it once a finish is applied. (
Which will be done by next Wed. for sure - I hope.)
On a side note: I did take a toy truck and a toy helicopter to a church benefit to be auctioned off as a fund raiser item. The combined toys brought a $60.00 bid. The fact that it was a benefit generated some of the bids, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.
(
Anyone out there interested in coming to a class on the pleasantries of running an electrical sander in DAG's shop?)
:-) Good luck obtaining employees. Mary
ReplyDelete