Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Another Hat Rack

Scrap Oak wood I had laying in the scrap pile
     It seems lately that the "C" word has shown up more frequently than one would like to hear of it. Recently a gal from our wood working club discovered that she now has cancer.   She has been taking treatments or whatever that next process is once one has been informed that they have this dreaded disease.  I tend not to ask a lot of questions of the one that I know has been diagnosed with this cancer bug.  The thought of it scares me a little.    Still, it amazes me how some people are such troopers when they go through the process of treating and trying to find a cure or fix for what they have.    In my mind they are heroes of some sort.
Final pieces needed to make the rack
  This fellow wood worker is now going through the loss of hair routine.   She commented to me one day that now she has this collection of caps, knitted hats,  and scarves that she wears when she is out in public.   This hat collection has quickly grown and now finds itself in a pile on a table at her home.  She indirectly commented that she could almost use a hat rack of some sort.  I said I would be willing to make one for her.    I don't know if she really wants a hat rack, but it is one of those items that I have made before.

     This was one of those "no plan" projects.  I just went with what I had on hand with the exception of the hooks.   I did purchase those.  
     I needed some round over trim for this project and I did not have any of those on hand either.    I had seen this done on you-tube before but never have done it myself so it was time to give it a try.   I trimmed off a stick of oak wood that was 3/4 inch square.   I ran one side by a 3/8's inch round over bit in my router.

  First I cut that stick in half and then I cut the half with the curve in it in half also.    I ended up with the three pieces shown in the picture to the left.  







    What I ended up with is 3/8's inch of the quarter round or what is shown in the picture to the right.  
    Once again I wanted to build this project with no screws or nails.   Everything is held together with good ole Titebond glue.    
   The next move was to assemble the pieces.  




   What I have is a board about 34 inches long with a small shelf on the top.  The round over piece is used to wrap around the joint between the board and the top.   I pre-drilled the holes for the hooks and applied an English Chestnut stain.   After the stain dried I applied two coats of an oil varnish.   Maybe I should have done my usual three coats, but with the oil varnish I seemed to get good coverage.



  I used a total of six hooks for hats or light coats.    When I called my fellow wood working buddy to let her know it was done she indicated that she was ready for it.   I did offer to install it on the wall for her, but she thought they could do that themselves or she would give me a call if she needed help.    

No comments:

Post a Comment