Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Storage Shed Rack

   Often I refer that I source most of my boards from my (treasured) wood scrap pile to use on a project.   To be honest I actually have 4 (treasured)  piles of wood scraps to pull boards from.   Of the four the one in the picture to the right is the most cluttered.    So often the board that I want is at the bottom of the heap and so often I move on to some other selection rather than dig it out.


 With Christmas looming on the horizon and with a few project ideas in mind I decided that I wanted to select a few of those boards from the bottom.   So it made sense to me that I needed to finally take the time to organize pile number 4.  
   I jumped in the pickup and headed to Menards to pickup some 2x4's.    (Four piles of wood scraps and I still had to run to Menard's to get some 2x4's.  Hmm.   Is there anything wrong with this picture?) 


    There was no plan in mine.   I did make a trip or two to the storage shed to make sure that once I had this built that it would fit under the door and inside the shed.   So the plan was to build this rack in the storage shed so it would be in place, but that changed as we built it at home and hauled it to the shed.  (I was so excited working on this because this was going to be a project that would not require any sanding.)    
   I have to admit that most of the wood that I own is rough cut and has to be conditioned or planed down before I can start a project.   And I will be blogging more about that next week.  For now I just got a taste of what it is like to go to the lumber yard and source wood and not have to do all that prep work.   (It is fun.    Costs a little more money, but it is fun.) 








   In fact I was having so much fun I even got the wife out to help hold boards in place while I held the level and ran the power drill.  







   Once we had it completed we loaded it up on the pickup and headed to the storage shed.   I have to admit that we might have looked a little strange going through town with that rack sticking up in the air.   We kept an eye out for the lower electric lines.

  (You know what?   I'm thinking of making my own pickup camper next.)




   We hauled out all the boards and placed the rack inside the building.    We had about two inches to spare when sliding it in under the door.
   Big lumber items went underneath.   Walnut on shelf number one.   Maple and Ash on shelf number two.   Reclaimed lumber on shelf number three and what ever pieces that were left went on the top shelf.

   Now I did pull out a few boards that I would need for these Christmas projects that I talked about and brought them home to start cleaning them up.

   Hoping you are having a great fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment