Thursday, November 12, 2015

Veteran's Day 2015

    It was December 1968 when I was honorably discharged from the US Navy.   My Enlistment ran from September 1965 through December 1968.     I was supposed to be released in September of 1968, but had extended my time in order to qualify for some additional benefits that were offered to me.    There are several stories that can be told about my three year enlistment with the Navy.    I made three trips to the Western Pacific and saw a lot of the world that I never expected to see when I was that age.   Some day maybe I will write about some of those adventures, but today with it being Veteran's Day, 2015,  I wanted to comment on life after the tour was over.



   There were no parades.   There were no welcome home events.    At that time, the Vietnam war was considered a negative and not too many people patted you on the back or said thank you for your service.   The news focused on those opposing the war.   Demonstrations were pretty common.   Many citizens felt that the US was in a conflict that most did not support.   One wondered just what was the right choice.
   Right or wrong, I did my thing.     I do not regret that decision and once I was discharged, life moved on.   I had new plans.   I was fortunate.  I do know others that could not walk away so easily.
    So today it does my heart good to see that people are taking time to recognize veterans who have volunteered to serve their country.  There seems to be a renewed respect given for those who have served in some form or another.
     In the past few years I have had more people (even strangers) say "thanks for your service".   It is nice to see that being done.     I'm grateful for those who take time to share that message.   It means so much.   I too do not want to forget those who served.   Especially those who did not come back home.   Those who did not completely come back home.  Those who did come back home but could not forget.     With that - I myself want to say "thanks".
USS Walke - one of the two destroyers that I served on. 
USS Leonard F. Mason in May 1974
USS Leonard F Mason - the other ship I served on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment