Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lawn Chair Gift

    Last Summer I purchased a pickup load of red cedar milled from a local tree.     Last year I had built 3 lawn chairs from cedar wood that I had purchased from Menards and it was my intent to build 3 more for each of the kids again this year.     This wood was still on the wet side and needed to dry down a little more so I created this little stack of wood in the garage.  (Right where the wife usually parks her car.   That created a discussion that we will not blog about.) 


    This past fall I felt the lumber had dried down quite a bit so I cut up several pieces to the dimensions that are required to build these three lawn chairs.     I moved those pieces to our basement family room thinking that with the low humidity in the house they would dry a little faster.  And they did.   (Of course that created another little discussion about lumber in the family room that we will not blog about.)


    In December I started to assemble those several pieces into what would be the lawn chair gifts that I would pass out at our family Christmas gathering.    Of course I was building little locomotives to hand out which was sort of time consuming.    I was also thinking that most likely no one will be looking for a chair to sit on in the middle of their lawn until the May or June so everyone should be a little forgiving if those chairs are not quite completed until Spring.

      So the picture above is of the boys and their 2015 homemade Christmas present.   Or at least the lawn chair as it was in the "process" of completion when we had our family gathering.     I promised that I would deliver them once the weather warmed up.  (Of course that created another discussion that we will not blog about.   They seem to take after their mother - somewhat.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the look of the red wood and can't wait to see the finished product :-)

    ReplyDelete