https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=879JtVybIw0&feature=share
Over the past few years it seems that the number of "Youtube" videos have just grown. I have purchased some DVD's that show some wood working ideas and I have subscribed to some woodworking classes and tips always trying to improve my woodworking skills. (One has to work hard to stay awake when they watch those woodworking clips - the sound of the table saw cutting through wood just seems to relax me so.)
I have discovered that if you want to know how to build something or if you are looking for tips on how to create a certain project - just do a "Youtube" search for that item and some talented Dork will show you the process on how to do it. Fascinating. (At least for an old retired guy!)
Anyway this is my version of the box that needs to be built to store and transport the giant jenga blocks.
The thing that bothered me a little is that the blocks come from 7 2x4's and the box to carry them in comes from a half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. When it is all put together it adds up to a chunk of weight. (Well for a young guy it could be a challenge. For old seasoned saw dust fellow like me it can be handled with ease...?)
Take a look at the picture above. Screw up number 1.
Because I was worried about the weight I wanted to use some biscuits when gluing the sides together. I planned to also use screws for this plus my old favorite Titebond glue, but the addition of some biscuits should help solidify the box all the more. The problem (and it is a problem that I encounter - or create more than most) is that I first cut the slots for the biscuits on the ends and not on the sides. Now I will have these exposed slots showing on the outside of the box.
Of course one option is to trash the boards and make new sides. The second option is to make the slots look like "Mr. Dork" had designed that look himself. So I cut some thin strips of walnut. I filed them down to fit into the exposed slots and sanded them flush with the sides. I think it turned out just fine. (Don't say anything to anybody - Okay?)
I applied three coats of Spar Marine Varnish to all sides. This should gives some protection if it happens to get a little wet.
The picture to the right shows the box loaded with the blocks waiting to be carried away.
(It is best to first read up on how to use one's legs when lifting a heavy object before you pull a back muscle.)
The picture to the left shows the box turned upside down. This box now provides a solid base to stack the jenga blocks on.
Well, the giant jenga blocks and their box have left the shop and are already out there doing their thing which is providing a challenge or two for those "kids" who are out there looking for some fun way to spend an afternoon at one of Iowa's great campgrounds.
Thanks Mr. DIY Dork for your ideas and your "Youtube" videos. Someday maybe I will advance from the blogger world to the "Youtube" world... (Well -- maybe not.)
Enjoy the summer. Talk to you next week.

I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. Best Jenga Games in 2018
ReplyDelete