Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Towel Rack

The dowel I purchased - the rest is just scrap wood
   This is something that we just did.   We hired a plumber to take out the tub in our bathroom on the main floor and install a "walk in" shower.   I don't know if that was the correct thing to do, but it seemed like hardly anybody used the bath tub anymore and the shower down in the basement was working overtime.  So we decided to take out the tub and replace it with a walk in shower stall.  (You know - the kind that you find in nursing homes...)

All pieces cut to size


   Of course when you do something like that people always have a comment that makes you feel like possibly your decision may have been a mistake.   One common comment shared with us is that all young families tend to look for a home that has a tub in it.   Kids like baths - not showers.  If you don't have a tub, it may devalue your house come selling time.     Whether true or not, only old people live in this house currently so out with the tub - in with the walk in shower.
 


Plans are being made to paint the project.

     So now Pam (my wife) showers upstairs on the main floor.   I still tip toe down the basement for my shower.   (This plan works well.  I think that it has something to do with the way I leave my clothes lying on the floor.  That may be the reason why I haven't earned the opportunity to shower in the new shower on the main floor.  I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the placement of my day old underwear.)
    Anyway, next to the new shower we needed a way to be able to hang wet towels without having them visible for company to see when they come for coffee.

Some nails in a scrap board hold the freshly painted
dowels so that they can dry without touching anything. 
 
This is something that I did this time that really worked slick.   I wrapped the ends of the dowels that I planned to use as hanging post with painters tape.  This will be the end that slides into the hole on the base board.  I punched a hole with my office paper punch into the painters tape so that I could hang the dowel on a nail after I applied the paint.  That way the paint on the dowel could dry without touching anything.     When they were dry I just peeled the tape off.  I applied glue to the bare wood and inserted them into the holes.

A towel rack that one could hang 5 towels on
   The goal was to place the towel rack in our closet.  That way when you are done drying off you can just hang the wet towel inside the closet for it to dry.   When company comes the wife will not be embarrassed to find out that they saw a wet towel lying in the middle of the floor.   (Nothing worse then wanting to use the bathroom and there they are - wet towels lying around on the floor...) 





  So this was an idea that Pam came up with.  And being the guy that I am, I always try to please the little woman.  Actually, it works well, was simple to make,  and I have to say it was a good idea.

    While the value of our home might have went down because this house no longer has a tub, that loss might be offset because this house has this handy dandy towel rack...   (Hmm - maybe?)

No comments:

Post a Comment