Thursday, August 11, 2016

Paper Towel Holder # 2

  There are times that when I build something for someone and pass it on to them, I always try to say that it has a life time guarantee.    Once in awhile I asked how things are holding up and everyone seems to reply that all is well.   I'm not sure if all is well or if they just don't want to confront me with a project of mine that may have fallen apart or something.    (I probably have a crabby nature about me.)



   I think if I charged a little more money for the things I did, then anyone who had problems with my projects would most likely be upset if things went wrong and they would be more willing to give me a little feedback about how I screwed up.  
  Anyway, I built this paper towel holder (Blogged about  in October of 2012) and I was told that it worked okay.  I also was told that sometimes when you would try to tear the paper sheet from the roll the spindle that holds the roll would jump out of the holder.
    I don't know why, but trying to come up with an improved version was a little fun for me.  (Kind of like building a better mouse trap I suppose.)   I found the original plan and decided that this time I would make a template out of 1/4 inch hardboard.    I would also make the area that hold the spindle a little more angled.    Maybe that would help hold the spindle in place as you go to tear a sheet off from the roll.   If it works, I have this template to make another one someday.    (I'm into templates lately.  Can you tell?)


    I used biscuits where I planned to glue the joints together, and something new I do lately, is to apply painters tape to the exposed wood before I start the glue up procedure.     What this is suppose to do is keep the squeezed out glue from spreading to that wood that later I plan to stain.     Experience has showed me that if you accidentally get a little glue on wood where you don't want it, it seals the wood pores up and stain will not soak in.



    While that sounds like a good plan, sometimes the glue gets on the tape and hardens which makes it a little difficult to get that tape off.   It was not so bad this time.     I'm hoping that the spindle from the original paper towel holder works with this frame.  I did not make a new one.








   There it is!  All stained and varnished.    Once this is installed you can pull on that paper sheet has hard as you want and that spindle will not jump out of this holder.   (I hope not anyway!   Oh well, you know that this does have a life time warranty.   My wood working life anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment