Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Christmas Time II

    Building a drawer is always a little scary for me.   That might be from the fact that over the past five years I have repaired several drawers.   Maybe history has shown me that once the drawer is built and is looking mighty fine, it suddenly does not fit into the hole that your made the drawer for.  In this case, I had a plan for the two drawers I was suppose to build, but I have learned that first you build the hole and then you toss the plans aside and build the drawer to fit the hole you have made.

  I was looking for a name that I could give this project.   The plan simply calls it a "Kitchen Box".   It looks like its function would be to store recipe books and cards and whatever else a cook would want to use it for.     I struggled as to what color of stain I would use for this   Again, the plan treats this as some kind of antiquated project so I chose something that resembles something that would appear to be old and brown. (Pretty generic -safe - aged color.)


   The plan called for me to use nails when assembling the drawers.   Like most of my projects, I just went with glued joints.    I always wonder when building something like this that will be auctioned off and find a new home, if those joints will hold up with a lot of use.    (Sometimes it is hard to work in the shop when I always have to keep my fingers crossed on one hand.)




    Again, not according to the plan, but another "DAG" thing, I did not stain the inside of the draw.   I left it natural, but did coat it with some paste wax.  I applied a coat and buff it down and then applied another coat and buff it down a second time.  I guess I am hoping that the wax will help the drawers slide in and out a little easier and they do.   (I'll be darned.  The drawers fit well.) 




   I installed the lid after I coated the whole thing three times with a poly varnish.   I used some old fashioned butterfly hinges for the hardware.

   That is it!   Done with this task.










  My wife, Pam,  went to the used clothing store here in town and sourced a second hand - but not to worn -  recipe book to display on the top.   I have nothing to do with the bidding process, but I guess the club has listed $50.00 as a start up bid.      I will update you in a late December blog as to what the actual price ended up to be.

Hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving Holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment