Thursday, December 21, 2017

Bathroom Vanity - Part I

Old Vanity
  A goal in 2018 for us is to redo our basement bathroom.    Our basement bathroom is kind of the "guys" bathroom.   You have to be a guy to understand this, but some bathrooms just have too many "frills" in them for a guy to really fall into that relaxed mode once you are in there.   By "frills" I share these examples - once you are done washing your hands you are not sure what towel you should wipe those hands on.   As you look around you see nothing but brand new towels hanging on the racks and they look like they have never been touched.   Your not sure if they are there for decoration or to wipe saw dust off  (Wrong! As a guy you know the penalty for getting sawdust on those new towels).    And some of those non-guy bathrooms you always have to make sure the stool lid is down after you've flushed and I'm not really not sure what that reason is.   
Also, you have to watch your step when you move around because who knows?   You may just accidentally kick over a "thing a mi jig" that is full of sea shells or some other decorative dry plant that is in a canister or jar or whatever. 
 


Scrap Plywood

 This basement bathroom is one that has a decent sized shower, a bathroom stool that was built right after they abandoned out houses, and a vanity that is built out of weathered barn wood.   Barn wood that matches the paneling on  half the walls.     I really really like this "mans" bathroom, but who knows, someday we will probably want to sell the place so maybe we should try to upgrade the joint a little. 


Coming together
   So we have had a visit with the local plumber.   ($$$$.)  The plan is to knock out the old painted brick cubical shower and install some acrylic thing that will be easier to keep clean.    I've picked up a new vanity top with a new facet to install.    And of course, there will be a new bathroom stool for us men to enjoy (Not sure if it comes with a lid or not).   It's the kind of throne that sits a little higher off the floor.   (I was told it has something to do with age and squatting or something.  Hmm.)





    All this will happen sometime in early 2018 and I will probably blog more about that venture once it happens.   My goal for now was to have the base of the vanity built so that when construction starts the plumber can make all of his hookups with the vanity base in place.  Once that is done I plan to make the face frame with doors.   At this point I am not sure what color of stain and/or paint I plan to use.    In fact there seems to be a little dispute between the wife and I about the barn siding.   I want it to go -  She kind of likes it.   (So we will see how the men's basement bathroom will end up.) 

   In the mean time the staff and I are planning our 2018 goals, budgets, and the improvements we may want to do to this blog site.   
    I have one more Christmas writing to do, but have not handed out those gifts yet so we will wait until next week to write about that one.

  Merry Christmas everyone from DAG's wood shop.   Remember - the reason for the season.   

No comments:

Post a Comment