Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Messy Desk

   Lately I have found myself sitting at my desk doing a lot of paper work.    I do the books for two organizations plus our own quicken records.   Like my shop, my office is also in the basement area.   There are no windows to look out of.   It's similar to the basement shop area where it is a little cooler and there is no day light. If it weren't for the country music playing in the background it would be another boring area to play in.   Still there are end-of-the-year reports that need to be done and there are beginning-of-the-year accounts that need to be set up.   Tax documents that need to be prepared.   (And extra taxes to be taken out of paychecks - thanks to our government officials.)   This past week I have found myself in front of the computer a little more and in the shop a little less.

    Now I think my desk area is well organized, but sometimes Pam seems to think it is a little cluttered.   She let's me have a couple areas in the house that I can call my turf.   The basement and the garage shop areas are one of those zones and the office area is another.  (The only rule is that I have to keep the cat litter box in my shop area.   Hmm.)  The rest of the house I have to be careful to not be too sloppy.   (You know, like leaving my dirty underwear laying on the floor - that kind of stuff.)

   I guess while working at the desk the other day I had to agree that maybe there was a better way to organize my stuff.  I know it looks a little cluttered, but it is always easy for me to find my things (With the exception of my glasses - somebody must move those around on me).    I was looking at an office web site to see what some options were to help me organize and I come across a bookend that I think would be kind of handy.    They were listed at $37.99 each.   I'm thinking that I could build one or maybe a couple of those with the scraps I have on hand.
  This is where that sketch up program I talked about last week would come in handy.   Right now I have to draft up a rough design on paper where with sketch up I could draft up a plan on the computer.   I thought I had my plan roughed out, but as I am cutting out the boards, I realize I have to tweak my handwritten drawing just a little.   I'm down to my third draft.
  So, I am off to a small start.  Hopefully this will be done by next Wednesday's blog time.   I am trying to build it without using any screws or nails to hold it together. It will be held together with dowel joinery and a little Titebond glue.  The drawers are small, but I'm hoping that they will be fun to do.   (If not, there is always the sledge hammer.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment