Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Parties on the Deck

Carter, Whitney, Breeze, and Dayton Goetz  - Aug. 2011
    I have often enjoyed our deck in the back yard since we moved here in 2001.   Over those 12 years, a lot of books have been read, the grill has been fired up several times, a beer or two have been drank, and lots of blood has been donated by myself to the life process of the mosquito population.   Once in awhile we have hosted a few parties on the deck.  Over the years their have been some tough crews that have stopped in to visit.  
     Every now and then, the deck shows it's wear and needs a little attention.    I did state that we moved in November of 2001 and I would guess that the deck had been built a couple years before that.   If that is the case, then the deck is about 14 years old.   I am guessing that this will be the fourth time that we have had to re-stain and protect the wood.   No matter what I do or what I used, it seems like three years later or so, it has to be done again.  (Kind of like a colonoscopy checkup.) 


         I don't know how other people do it, but the process I go through is first clear the deck of all the furniture and flower pots.   Second,  I cover with plastic all the things that I don't want to get coated with stripper and stain.   Third,  I brush the deck down with a product called "Deck Strip".    You apply this stuff and it only takes about 15 minutes for it to soak into the old stain.   (It works best if you can get the wife to brush that on while you are tuning up the power washer.    Tuning up the power washer can be time consuming.)     Once the stripper has soaked in I just come along with the power washer and clean off all the crude and stuff.   Works pretty good.  

   It is surprising how the deck boards can look pretty well weathered and then this process brings out the new look again.  

    I leave the deck dry out for four or five days before proceeding on.      During this time, I look at the Menard's flyer and calculate the cost of putting in composite decking.   That has a ten year warranty.   Oh well,  I should be good for another three for now and who knows where I will be in ten years.  .









        About a week later plus two rain showers, I figured that the boards had dried off well enough for me to apply the stain.   I use a product call "Flood It" and I use the cedar tone for color.    Structurally the deck and the boards are still sound so come on over and we'll fire up the grill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment