| Whitney & Danae |
I had built one of these before (blogged about it on July, 2011). That one I followed a plan on the internet and this one I followed the plan out of the magazine. I built that one for someone else, but ever since doing that I kind of had the urge to build one for myself. The first one was very solid, but heavier to lug around. This one was lighter and easier to move around, but took a beating over the weekend.
I built the frame and the legs out of scraps that I had on hand. Most of it was built from some green treated wood that was given to me. My expenses came from buying the top, paint, and some hardware.
For a top, the plan called for 1/4 inch MD fiberboard. I painted the boards with white primer and then where I plan to have strips running down the board, I used white spray paint. The boards are 2 foot wide and 4 foot long. If there is anything to cry about while putting this together, it was the making of the 6 inch holes.
Last time I cut the holes out with a jig saw. It was okay, but not as pretty as I would have liked it. This time I bought a circle cutter that would make holes from 3 inches to 6 1/4 inches in diameter. Guess what? Not happy with that thing. (I'm thinking of sending it back to China.) I ended up making a jig out of my roto zip to cut the holes. They turned out okay. Still not as pretty as I would have liked them to be. I think that is something I will have to keep working on.
| Serious Pic of Breeanna and the Champ! |
Needless to say, I did not have to worry about the finish as the boards received a lot of use over the weekend. Several games were played. More than I had thought. It was fun and everyone seemed to enjoy the competition. (Of course I played the game for the fun of it - Not for blood... Yep! )
Dad made me a set last summer. However, he seemed to have gotten a little zealous with the wax on the top of the board, as we have quite a few bags that just slide right past the hole. And...I'm sure its the wax and not our lack of skill.
ReplyDeleteHa. When I put on the white primer paint, the surface seemed a little rough so I took some fine sandpaper and made it nice and smooth. Mistake! Our bags seemed to slide pretty easy also. By the second day the gloss was gone and they seemed to stick a little better. Either that or the bags had hit dirt often enough that they were a little rough around the edges. Maybe that was it. :)
Delete