 |
| My first quilt rack |
You may have heard me say that we will just have to see how this will turn out.
(I built it like the instructions said to do it, but it was an experiment in the works. And sometimes I don't pay attention to the instructions.) This past week I had a chance to do a little house sitting for my in-laws and it gave me a chance to check a few things out. The picture to the right is of a quilt rack that I had made over five years ago. I made this rack out of walnut wood. In fact this rack was made out of wood from a walnut tree that had grown on my in-laws place.
 |
| A washer dryer combo makes for a nice work bench |
When I finished this project five years ago I used danish oil. Danish oil is a product that you rub into the wood and the oil really makes the grain stand out. Especially on walnut wood. When it dries, the wood looks clean and has a nice finish on it. The problem that I could see was that after a couple years the danish oil finish seemed to wear off. The quilt rack was starting to look like bare wood again. So while I was staying at their house and looking for something to do, I re-finished that stand. This time I used varnish. It brought on the nice sheen looking finish that I like.
 |
| Grandma's quilt? |
When done, I put the quilt that was originally on the rack back on. I tried to place it back in the same spot that it was before and with a little luck they will never know that anything occurred or had been changed. (
I was more concerned that I may have dribbled varnish on their washer/dryer and failed to see a spot that did not get cleaned up. I checked close and didn't see any spills. I don't want to lose my house sitting job.)
 |
| Want to play farm with me? |
I couldn't help but notice when I was down in the basement toy room that here was a toy box that I had put together some 35 years ago. I forgot that I had even made this. It had to be one of my first projects. Anyway it still had some kids toys stored in it and I was amazed that they still had this thing around. That toy box was built when I had few power tools to work with.
(It was built before Menards was even an idea.)
Who would have thought.
So. Are you going somewhere for a weekend? Need someone to keep an eye on the place while you are gone? Call DAG's wood shop service. All that is required is a beverage in the fridge and a snack in the cupboard.
No comments:
Post a Comment