Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Another Flower Stand


Second year for this flower stand. 
 
   Sometime back I had made a plant stand for use on our patio.   I made it out of pressure treated scrap pieces that were given to me.   When Chad's family was down to help me install the ceiling fan, his wife Danae thought that plant stand was a pretty neat deal.    Back when I had helped Chad build his swimming pool deck he had a lot of little cedar wood scraps that were left over.   (Some how those were planned to end up at his fire pit, but were mistakenly put in the back of my pickup.) 

Cedar scrap wood pieces 
   
    I went to the ole wood scrap pile and dug out a few of those unwanted cedar deck boards.   They were a little dirty, but they more than filled the requirements needed to make the stand above.   I like working with cedar wood.   It is a soft wood, but does well for outside projects.   (Plus it smells so nice when you are working with it.)   I was thinking we might just be able to build one of those for Danae out of their very own left over scraps.
A nice little pile of spanking sticks 




  While it does not appear to be a very "big" project, it does take several pieces.    I cut out all the pieces to the right out of the boards that appear in the picture above.   Of course I sanded them all to buff them up a little.  (I keep thinking that some day I will start to enjoy sanding a little more.   I'm working on it.  Someday.   For right now, I would compare sanding bringing me as much pleasure as petting the cat.)


That's right DAG, the green marks go on top. 
   

The main thing to getting this off to a good start is to make sure that you keep everything square and spaced off correctly.    I have found that it is easier for me to just make a few spacers to use between boards as I nailed them up.    I did use a little of my Titebond glue at each joint, but most of the strength is coming from the nails driven in by the air gun.  (Running an air gun is fun.)





Let's see.   What goes next?
 
 Eventually, it all comes together.    One does have to stay focused and count layers as you are rising up.   I confess that half way through as I was listening to an audio book in the back ground I had to pry a couple boards off as they were nailed on wrong.  








Just think, I could have been a nice warm campfire 
   To the left is the finished project just before I threw it in the back of the pickup.   I'm going to haul this up to Minnesota and see if it works for them.   (Whether it does or not, I will be reimbursed by eating great food and playing board games with the grand kids.   You can count on it. )  
   I wanted to note that at the end I did put some water sealer on.   I was a little surprised at how it made the cedar look pop out.  

    This was a fun little project.

No comments:

Post a Comment