Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Box of Wires

   I feel good about what has been going on this past week.   I want everyone to know that I have just about completed my annual holiday task of cleaning up all the left over Christmas cookies in our house.    When it is cold like it has been this past several days, one wants to just grab a cup of hot chocolate and a tin of left over Christmas treats and sit in the shop and think about working.    (And think about working is something that I seem to do quite well.)
   It was December 4th when I blogged about 4 or 5 projects that I needed to work on and this is the last on that list.   This is a "For Hire" job which I like to do.   I'll get about $20.00 for this item.  (Of course I will head to Menards later to replace some of my inventory and spend a little more than that.  -  But it's the experience that counts - Hmm.)  

  The top pic is what a law office had been using to hide their mass of computer wires underneath a desk.   They asked if I could build something similar only a little taller and with a top.   I would guess that what they had been using (pictured above) was a platform to set the computer monitor on.  
  I started out with a scrap of oak plywood and trimmed it down to the size of pieces I would need.  (This project was a fairly simple one only I was making it from an idea in my mind - not from a plan.  So I'm afraid that that  process for me makes this project just a little more complicated...)


 I cut out the three main pieces - a front and two sides.     I glued these pieces together and included a couple of homemade corner brackets to help keep the form square.  Also I felt that they will add some stability to the base.  There are some screws in the corner brackets, but the rest of the project is going to be held together with glue.  






     When using plywood I had to make some trim to cover those exposed edges of the plywood.   Also I drilled in some dowels to help fasten the top to the base.  
     The top was made from some solid oak that I just happened to have left over from the wine rack project I did.
     Something else I did this time was to stain the wood before assembling the top.   This worked fairly well.
    Another thing that I loved about this project was the fact that all the wood used was new and in fine shape so there was very little sanding that needed to be done.
   
   To the right is the  finished project.   It is about 16 inches tall 22 inches wide  and 6 inches deep.  One should be able to hide a lot of wires behind that.  
   Well that takes care of that.   I think I will just waddle over to the kitchen and make me another cup of something hot to drink.   Who knows, maybe a cookie or two will be in my plan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment