Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Another Step Stool

   I had a request from one of the daughter-in-laws to build another step stool.   Making step stools is almost becoming second nature to me.  I actually enjoy building them and while there are some similarities, each one is just a little different.   Usually I can find enough scrap wood laying around that with a little glue I can build one in a short time.    These boards in the picture above are scraps left over from the burr oak bench that I made last winter.


  When using wood like this rough burr oak you have to remember that it is wood that was milled out of a fallen tree.   That comment has nothing to do with the strength or the durability of the wood,  it just has something to do with preparing the boards in order to make them like the lumber purchased at the store.  (In other words - lots of sanding - sad face, sad face.)   You have to plane down the wood to a certain thickness,  cut out the knots, and glue sections back together in order to reach the desired result.  (It is kind of like being in 1st grade - cutting & gluing.  Perfect for me. )

   Eventually one gets to where all the pieces are glued, trimmed,  and sanded.    Again, there was no pattern to follow on this.   I generally look at one I have done before and scribble some measurements on a note pad.  One just wants to make sure that you are keeping everything duplicated and square so that it all comes together.  You need to know how high the stool should be and if it needs a step.   Each time I make one I always think it is turning out a little better than the last one I made.


   I did use a few brad nails and I did use some screws in this project although the bulk of the joinery is mostly glue and dowels.    I used my kreg jig to screw the steps down to the sides.   Screws are on the under side and can not be seen.   That was a first for me and it worked quite well.







   To finish this off, I rubbed some Danish Oil on all the surfaces.    I did not use any stain or varnish on this project.   I am discovering that oil really brings out the grain pattern which I think is a positive. (And it is easy to apply.)   The negative will be that over time, the oil wears down and it would be nice if some more were reapplied.    
    I have come to the conclusion that step stools are a "working" piece of furniture.    Most kids don't care if they are stain and shiny.   They just use the step to get up to somewhere where one needs to be a smidgen taller.

Judah Jack - three years old. 
 


    Well, for the big fellow with the shiny teeth on the left, this step stool is working perfectly.   As for grandpa, I did not have to make any trips to the store.  (Darn, I like going to the store!)  Everything was just laying around the shop.   As I said before the design is a little different from the ones that I have made in the past, but I like this one.   It takes you a little higher and in two easy steps.  

    To be honest, after all the little step stools that I have built, we have a store bought plastic one here at home.   Well once I get that design down to an art, I am going to have to toss that plastic job.  (Of course all the grand-kids will be grown by then.)

1 comment: