Since this project was for Pam, I selected some of my "best" red oak boards (Hoping that this would get me some points - I need points...). After the boards were glued together, I ended up with a solid oak board about 16 inches wide and 60 inches long. This was one of those projects where the design was in my head. No plans available. It's was not that tough to do, but with me - who knows.
I rubbed the pieces down with a sanding sealer. This takes about a day to dry and I'm not sure if it does much when working with oak. Still I had some sealer on hand and figured it may help in getting a result of a nice even stain. I put a hole in the back on one end for cords to go through. Also I sawed off one of the outside corners at 45 degrees.
As I had stated last week, Brian and his family had moved back from Spokane, so (hey - free labor!) I had him help me install my homemade brackets for mounting the shelf on the wall.
I have talked about how sometimes I come up with these "none" engineered ideas and I'm never sure whether they will totally work out or not. The only way to find out is to try it. These brackets are joined with biscuits and screwed into the wall studs. Pretty solid. (I think I could actually stand on one - Okay maybe one of the smaller grand kids could stand on one...) My idea was to have open space underneath. I did not want to have Pam work around any wooden legs.
The picture to the right shows the end result. It's the social media station of our residence (Or possibly a good place for DAG to play a game of internet backgammon before going to bed). As far as the weight test for bracket support goes - so far it is staying pretty solid.
Have a good holiday this coming weekend and make sure to let go of the firecracker before the fuse comes to its end.
No comments:
Post a Comment