Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Another Coat Rack

Back side of the coat rack. 
     I did another coat rack this past summer.    I am thinking that over the past 4 years since I retired, I have built 4 different coat racks.   One would think that all a person would need for a useful coat rack is a short board and four or five long nails.  (And you know what?   You could make a nice coat rack with just that.)     I tend to try to build one so that in the end you have a nice place to hang your coats and you cannot see how the rack is built or how it is hung on the wall.

  This rack will be 40 inches long and will appear to be an inch and one half thick.   If you do a nice glue job it is hard to see where one board stops and another starts.  (That is the plan anyway.)
   Some projects are gifts.  Some projects I get reimbursed enough to cover my expenses and this is the case with this one.  When there is money involved I always try to be just a little more careful.      Everybody accepts a gift with a smile, but if they have a vested interest they would like it to be somewhat nice.  (Kind of like buying a cat.   If you pay money for a kitten you expect it to be somewhat talented.   If it is free you take what you get.    Ours was free.    Yep!  That is all I am going to say about that.)
   I have gotten so that I like to put a small ledge or shelf on the top edge of the rack.  In this case I glued the top to the base using wooden dowel pins.  I added a little trim between the base and the top shelf and it came out looking nice.
   Once again, I did have some oak pieces in my scrap pile to make the base, shelf, and trim so the expense in this project was in the hooks.   I found the five hooks on sale, but the bill for the hooks themselves was a little over $25.00.  (For some that makes the old homemade pine board rack with the five nails in it look a little more appealing.) 
   The tricky part is choosing the stain color.    Some want it to be dark,  some want it to be a light stain.   In this case I went with the dark as other things in their house are stained on the darker side.  
   Once again I made a bracket out of wood with one edge that is cut at a 45 degree angle.  I mounted this bracket on the wall.  This rack has a counter 45 degree angle cut on the back that hangs on the wall mounted bracket.   No screws will be seen anywhere and it fits snug to the wall.     They liked it so I guess it turned out okay.  

The weather sounds like we will soon be returning to that season of wearing a coat when we venture out in the morning.   The thing with a coat rack is that you have to hang your coat up when you come home rather than pitch it in a corner on the floor.   Sometimes pitching it in the corner is kind of fun.  (If you can get away with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment