Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Zoo

   When I was young (you know -young - like 3 to 5 years old) I had a stuffed toy to call my own.  It actually was a doll.   (Don't repeat that please.)   I'm not sure what my mother was thinking, but it went everywhere with me.   It would close it's eyes and cry a little moan when you laid it down.   I always cherished it and if I had it today it might be of some value as an antique.   The trouble was that later on when I grew up  (I think I was seven at the time)  I did surgery on it.  Yep.   I cut it open to see what was making that moaning sound when it would lay down.   After that little surgery it was somewhat wrecked and I was no longer as fond of it as I had once been.  (I may not be correct, but I thought I heard the cat making a moaning sound  the other night.)
    I was e-mailed a picture of a cage called "The Zoo" and was asked if I could make something similar to that.    Once again I could not find any plans so it was another one of those trial and error projects.
   I did build the bulk of this project out of scrap oak from my wood pile, but I had to buy some 1/2 inch wood dowels.      I have been writing about building things from my scraps lately so I decided that it was time to announce when I had to buy a little wood.
    The Picture to the right is of all the pieces that I cut from scraps.   The joinery on this was mostly what is called half lap.   I did use a few screws to help support those joints.

    It did have a solid bottom.    All the side and front pieces had to have holes drilled through them for the dowels to slide through.   As you can see, I have reached a point in my life where I tape little notes on to pieces to help remind me as to what side faces which way etc.    In fact I have taken the grand kids sidewalk chalk and used that to mark and write on different pieces to help keep myself organized.   (I almost need to make a note to remind myself to remove all those notes and chalk before I apply the varnish.  Sad huh?)

   I did a couple of things different with this project.   One was that I stained all the pieces before I assembled them.   That worked quite well.    The second thing I did was that I used a wipe on varnish.   That also worked quite well.     As you can see I have the front and the back made up here.   Only the front has dowels as the back will be against the wall.  (Of course that means that I will have a few left over 1/2 inch dowels that will find a home in my eternal wood scrap pile - In case you were wondering how that scrap pile got to be what it is.)


    The picture to the left shows you the side view as it comes together.  
    It is made so you can hang in on a wall in your kids room.   You throw your stuffed animals in through the top and if you want a particular one that is towards the bottom or in the middle you should be able to pull it through the bars.  It is about 40 inches tall and will hold a lot of small stuffed things.  Now days kids seem to have a lot of those small stuffed things.



    Well, here is my version of the Zoo.    I did not put the lettering on the top.   I left it so one can either buy the letters and stick them on or even just paint the words "The Zoo" if they want.

    Have another good week!   I am busy packing my suitcase for another fall leaf trip.   Because I do woodworking I really go on these trips to look at hardwood trees.   (Mostly when I really have to go.)   It may be a couple weeks before I get back to blogging so enjoy the respite.




No comments:

Post a Comment