Wednesday, May 13, 2015

How Hot Is It?

    Sometimes I reflect on my little wood working hobby and wonder just what is it that makes me forge my way through the shop every week.   Sometimes I think I it comes from an imaginary desire to create things out of whatever scrap of wood I can collect.    Sometimes I want to build something that someone needs in their home and that is a good thing also.   (Sometimes I wonder if my wood working hobby just gives me an excuse to go shopping to Menards or to surf the internet trying to find some new tool or handy item.)    Regardless of the reason, once in awhile I find myself just puttering around in the shop with something that was not on the day's agenda.   It is times like this that I question did I just waste a day in my life?   And then, on the other hand at the end of the day if feels like this was one of those days that was kind of fun.  This blog writing is about one of those days.      
   
    I was gifted one of those outdoor electronic thermometers that digitally display the time of the day, the temperature outside, the indoor temperature, the humidity, and it could almost predict what kind of mood I was going to be in for the rest of the day.    It lasted about eight months.   The snow, the rain, insects moved into the outside unit, and finally it just died.  

    I liked it.   I liked it so much that I went out and invested in another one just like the one given to me as a gift.  This was a newer model and even had more features than the earlier one did.    By this time, I realized that most people were getting that same info off of their smart phones.   Oh well.  I like it.   Ten months later this unit also quit working.  
  Finally, I just went out and bought a cheap round thermometer.   It did not tell me what kind of mood I was going to be in, but when I looked out the window it would always tell me how cold or warm it was.
  It was hanging on the patio railing and I was thinking "this was my kind of thermometer".   No batteries needed.  It was always dependable.   Until one day I looked out the window and there my little thermometer was laying there on the deck.   The wind must of whipped it out of its cheezy little bracket.


   So I brought my little $3.00 thermometer into the shop.   I dug around for some scrap oak and walnut,  glued up some boards and made my own thermometer bracket.








  It's hanging in the garage now.   (If I want to know the outside temp and wind speed I look at my cell phone.  Just like modern people do.)    

  Now, when working in the garage shop I can just look at the wall and see how hot I am.   Isn't it great?

   Yep!  This was a fun day in the shop.      

No comments:

Post a Comment