Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Living Room Trim

  I am always surprised at how little I still know about married life.   Sometime early in our union (long ago) I was thinking that as time goes by one would figure out all there is to know about one's partner.  When I feel that I am about to master that goal of "knowing all"  a new wrinkle comes into play.    A new one arrived last week.   Being a man and with the two of us raising three boys there never seemed to be any rule in our house about the stool seat or lid.    I have to admit that I had heard comments in the past about how women like it if a man puts the bathroom seat down once he is done with his little duty.    Regardless of what I had heard, Pam had never seemed to indicate that there should be such a rule in our home.     That is until the other day.

   She had come home after being out with some friends and told me that it would probably be a good practice for me to always put the seat down once I'm finished in the bathroom.    I'm not sure if that means I am suppose to put the lid down also or just the seat.    Apparently this was discussed by those present at this little ladies outing.  I'm guessing that if any of these women ever came to visit us at our house, they could be shocked if they would want to use our bathroom and the seat is not down.   (Hmmm.)    So, not wanting to do things that are not protocol I have faithfully been trying to get into the habit of putting the seat down.   In fact, I put the lid down too just to be sure I don't screw the whole process up.   (This follows years and years of being sure that I remembered to flush when done.  I think this whole process must be the reason why God created trees.)     I did Google the "Seat up or down" process and was surprised that there thousands of sites addressing this issue with none giving a solid direction.    Most sites suggest that as a man you should try to do whatever pleases the woman of the house.    (So when people ask me "what do you do now that you are retired"  I will be wondering how does one share the list of added chores that continue to fill my day.  Seat closing.)
Brian carefully removing old trim 

   On the shop side of things, we loaded the pickup with some tools and headed down to Creston,  Iowa to do a little work on Brian's house.   He and Cari have been painting and fixing up their living room and they wanted to replace the floor trim.  


Let's see - 45 degrees please

   Most dads would pack a hammer and a hand saw, but not me.   I have to load up the sawhorses and chop saw along with a couple of tool boxes.   (I even packed the sander.)




Top is the new - Bottom is the old 

   The picture to the left shows both the old trim and a sample of the new trim.    The old trim is on the bottom and the new on top.    I have to admit that once we were done putting on the new trim the sample shown on top is all that we had left.   (I don't know how Brian is ever going to end up with a wood scrap pile in the future if he calculates his orders that close.   Looking at my wood scrap pile, I would say that this is a good trait.)


Judah and Blair

    
  We covered all four walls with new trim and it was a nice improvement.    I do have to say though that once you put all the furniture back into place one does not see much of the trim.   Still in those places where it shows, it looks nice.  

  Next week - How hot is it?





I know this place is where you normally get a drink, but now there are some new rules about this spot.  
Drink out of your dish like a normal cat would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment