I was showing my blog to someone the other day and in that showing I discovered a few grammar errors that were made.
(Can you believe it?) I think that during that time in my youth when the teacher was trying to instruct me on things like proper word usage, sentence structure, and spelling that one should use when writing a paper - my bottom was in my desk chair, but my mind must of been elsewhere.
(I think I was dreaming of the different kinds of grit that sandpaper comes in or something similar. It was during my adolescent years and I'm thinking I must have been dreaming about something... ) It has always been a challenge for me. Do you use "then" or do you use "than"? Do you use "to" or do you use "too"? Do you use "who" or do you use "whom"? Should this word end in "ed" or not. Odds have always been that I will select the incorrect choice.
(Thanks for bearing with me all these past years. Or should I say in years passed?")
 |
| Note - no sandpaper shown in this pic |
When thinking about working on my kitchen cabinets I discovered a product called Restor & Finish. Another product that I also used was called Butcher Block conditioner. I know I have talked enough about Titebond glue that they should sponsor my blog, but this is another product that I will be using a lot of in the future. In the past I have refinished a few older pieces of furniture and if I could do it again, I would have used this stuff that I am showing.
 |
| Left hand side is before - right hand side is after. |
You start by taking mineral spirits and "0000" steel wool and cleaning off each draw, door, and brace that is showing in your project. In my case I dismantled each section of the cabinets doing one part at a time. The mineral spirits used with the steel wool cleans off any old grime and old varnish/wax coatings that is on the wood. In some cases I had to do this process twice. Once the wood was clean and dry I would apply the Restor and Finish stain. It reminds me a little of the old English scratch remover products. For my cabinets I used the Mahogany color. We also changed out the hardware.
 |
The example above shows wear on those spots where our
hands opened the door not using the handles. |
The one thing that I would have liked to change was the placement of the handles on my doors. These cabinets came with the handles in the middle of the door. Most cabinets today have a handle near the bottom on those cabinets above the counter top and a handle near the top on those cabinet doors below the counter top. A lot of our cabinets show wear from us just grabbing the doors near the bottom or the top - whatever the case may be - and not using the handles at all. For me to change that I would end up with the old holes in the doors that I would have to putty shut. So the new handles went in where the old handles came out.
 |
The same area as in the previous pic only after
being processed. |
The process is not perfect, but taking the time to do this dressed up our old cabinets into a nicer looking set. The final step was to rub the new stained wood with the Butcher Block conditioner. That product is a combination of a few waxes and oils. Hopefully it will stand up over time. If it doesn't -it is easy to reapply.
 |
| Whitney |
We had company this past weekend, so I had my granddaughters model my new cabinets for me. I am done in the kitchen for now. I enjoyed doing this little task, but it seemed like it went on and on. For now, I'm done. Currently, my microwave pop corn is stored behind a nice looking cabinet door that now has a nice looking new handle.
 |
| Breeanna showing off her new Prom Dress |
So it you have any old furniture that needs a little dressing up I think I would give this stuff a try. I know I have a couple items that have been passed down through the generations sitting in the basement that I might try this stuff on this summer.
In the mean time Pam had the opportunity to go shopping with our granddaughters and their mom for a prom dress for Breeanna. Her prom is happening this coming Saturday night.
(Man, those grand-kids are growing too fast.) For a man who lately has spent the bulk of his shopping trips looking for items for the shop - it was a new discovery of what prom dresses cost. Let's see. Would you rather have a new prom dress or a new power tool? Okay!! Okay!! I know. Power tools are overrated.
Next week - floor trim.
(Sounds exciting huh?)
No comments:
Post a Comment