Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Kitchen Counter Top

East Wall of our Kitchen 
 

 There are a few things that I used to do that I no longer do.    One is laying carpet.   Another is plumbing work.    I guess another is the installation of kitchen counter tops.   (I can still build toy boats for the grand kids - I think I can anyway).







West wall of our Kitchen 

     So when it came to changing over our counter tops in the kitchen we decided to hire it done.     It started with the removal of the old tops.   Once that was done I actually went through the base cabinets and did some structural work.   Nothing major.  Just a couple places needed to be solidified.  This was requested by the counter top people and I felt it was something I could do.  








I see a new work bench top in my future
    Part of the original bid was that for $60.00 they would dispose of the old counter tops.   I couldn't part with the $60.00 plus I had visions of what one could build out of those old Formica tops.    So there they are stacked in the garage.   It was the butcher block style Formica and I have to confess that after 38 years it had lasted well.   ( Most likely after 38 years, it might be coming back in style.)     
Look at all the dust bunnies below. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Our goal was to replace the counter tops and then afterwards I would go through the cabinets and try to restore them back to their original appearance.    There was a lot of encouragement from several of the family and friends that we talked to that we should paint the cabinets some kind of off white or black or something.     I have trouble painting over wood.   I know - wood is probably going by the wayside, but I guess I will leave it up to the next owner to paint these cabinets.


TiteBond Glue coming to the rescue


    Besides,   we just painted a bathroom and a bedroom.   (It was time to give the paint brush a rest.)  The back splash on the old counter tops was a little higher than the new one.   So that was another little patch and repair job that we had to do ourselves.    Pam did a lot of that herself and did a good job.




A new place to stack my snack dishes 

                                                                           With the new counter tops we added a new sink and faucets.    Of course the old garbage disposal would not fit in with the new sink so we had to get a new one of those also.  (I know how that game goes and yet I still go along like I know nothing.)
    Plumbing bills are interesting.    This new rig to the left cost me more than what it cost to have my first born 43 years ago.   (Oh well.   Mothers day is just around the corner.   What can I say.)

One of my handy dandy work areas. 





  So what do you think of my new little portable work bench top.    It still needs a little trimming and a few tweaks, but it will be a handy little item for me.  (Along with the other five that I cut out of the old counter top.  May the kids will get portable work benches for Christmas this year.)





    
A portable Sanding table - Love my scraps


  I am currently working on restoring/refinishing the cabinets and hope to have that completed for next week's show and tell.  Or wait - for next week's blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment