Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Removing Wallpaper

   Today the temps were super nice.   Spring is here.   I was working in the garage running the skill saw and working on a little project.   I always try to be extra careful whenever I am using any of the shop tools.   And the older I become the more I try to focus on what I am using and what I need to do to avoid an accident.   Today while running the skill saw I cut through the board I was working on and when I brought the saw back I clipped my finger.     I quickly ran to the rag bin and grabbed a clean red rag and ran into the kitchen hollering for Pam to take me to the emergency room.   Help me I screamed! You need to take me to the hospital.   I think I cut my finger off as I held my red wrapped hand in the air.      She just sat there looking at me and said     "You are not pulling any April fools jokes on me so get back out into the garage and finish up what you were working on."    Man, what a disappointment.   I had rehearsed that act so well.    Needless to say, it was all a farce and I failed to April fool her again this year.    No cuts.  No fingers laying on the garage floor.   I was so sure that I had her this year.    I think I need to practice on articulating my "Help me" a little more or something.
Love that wallpaper life 
     
    In our house we have two rooms that have wallpaper on them.   The bathroom and our bedroom.   I thought those rooms looked just fine, but Pam felt that it is time for a change.   So we decided that we would do a little improvement with a new paint job.    I honestly have never removed wallpaper before.   (I'm thinking how tough of a job can that be?)   For those of you that have been following my blog for some time, you know that sanding is on the very bottom of the fun list.   Sanding is such a mind-dulling task.  Today, removing wallpaper is my new least favorite thing to do.   I would be curious if there is any human being in the world that enjoys the removal of wallpaper.



Careful - Careful - Careful


    We did go to the rental shop and rented a steamer machine that was suppose to aid in the ease of the removal of wallpaper.    I think it helped some, but I was thinking that in a half hour or so we would have all the paper off that little bathroom.    In some areas, sections came off in big sheets.   In other areas, that wall paper held on with glue force that would put TiteBond to shame.  

This was not a good time to practice our
communication skills. 

   I did not get around to taking a lot of pictures of this process.   I did make one trip to Menards to see what kind of products they had on the market to ease the process of removal.   (More needless tools were purchased plus some bottle of squirt stuff.)  We finally got it all off.   Our house was built in 1977 and this wallpaper appears to be the first thing put on the wall.   There was only a coat of primer remaining on the wall once we had all the paper off.    There was wall paper behind the mirror and door trim.   I guess the little woman was right.   It was time for a change.



The Throne.   



     In the end it took a little spackling to cover up some of our sins.   We use a light aqua paint.  Hopefully the paint lasts as long as the wallpaper.
     To the left is the finished product.  Or maybe not.   I have been toying with the idea of no tub and a walk in shower and/or the idea of trying to lay a little wall tile.   We'll see.
     One of the things that I did get serious over was the vanity.    The wood work on the vanity needed some loving.    I'm thinking I would like to restore our kitchen cabinets so I tied into the process of touching up the vanity as a practice.  

     More on that next week.   Have a good April fools day.  

1 comment: