Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A regulation Corn Hole Set # 4

   I have come to the realization that there seems to be a pattern of repeat items in my wood shop.   Last week I received a call from a lawyer's office here in town and was asked if I could fix a desk drawer that had pulled apart.   It has been awhile since I had done that but it was no big deal. So I picked up the broken drawer - fixed it so it would hold lots of new legals papers (or whatever it is that lawyers store in their desk drawers) and returned it back to their office in a flash.    
    The thing is that each of us would like to be known for something we did while we were here on this earth.  I don't know, but is my talent fixing drawers?  I am starting to feel that someone somewhere wrote on some bathroom stall door  "Are your drawers not looking so good? - call DAG's wood shop".

This past week I built my fourth regulation size "Corn Hole Toss" game board set.  Even though this is the fourth one that I have built it is structured a little different than any of the other three.  (It's like children - you raise them all the same but each one turns out a little different from the others.)  
   I was at a birthday party this summer and seen the very first one I had built.  I was totally surprised to see that it was still in good shape.   The thing was that I built it out of heavier stock which must of made it more solid.   The problem was that it was pretty heavy to transport.
  The second one I built was for myself and I made it a lot lighter.    It was easy to carry, but after being hammered with several corn (or bean) bags the top started to pull apart from the frame.  (I had just blogged about that repair in July.)   The third one I reinforced it a little more and last I heard it was still hanging together.  
   This fourth one I am trying to use some soft maple which is light weight and doing a little extra bracing plus using a few more screws.    Hopefully it holds together.

   I should consult with some engineer to see what the impact force is when a bag hits the top of a game board.   (For me it's hard to tell cause most of the bags I toss just hit the grass that is growing around the board.   Still it is a fun game to play.)


   The first one I built I varnished the exposed sides.   The next two I used paint.  On this one I used some stain that I had laying around and slapped a couple coats of exterior oil varnish on it.   Like I commented on another blog, most young people now-a-days would rather go with a painted look instead of the wood look.   I just wanted to seal up the wood and if the new owner wants to apply team colors or whatever, he can paint over the varnish. In fact it is much easier to apply paint over varnish than it is over bare wood.  

 
    I still need to add the hardware to make transporting these boards around a little easier.   Once that is done, number four will be ready for a game and to take the bag beatings.    I'm sure it will be a fun time.    Who knows -  Maybe there will be a number five built down the road.   Maybe that is what I will be known for.   Corn Toss Game Boards...     (Maybe on some bathroom wall somewhere it might say "For a fun time contact DAG's wood shop".    

No comments:

Post a Comment