 |
| Four old used boards from the scrap pile. |
I had a tooth pulled a couple weeks ago. One by one they seem to be disappearing on me. I did not jump for joy when my dentist informed me that the tooth in the back has fulfilled its job for this lifetime and it is time for it to come out. From the way he was talking I was thinking that it must be close to falling out. It must be in the way or something. So we made an appointment to have it pulled out.
When he finally gets his pliers on it, he yanks and pulls and it puts up a good fight not wanting to release itself from my jawbone. Somewhere in that process as I lay there with him standing on my chest, I am wondering - if the tooth does not want to come out why did he decide that it should be pulled.
(Maybe he has a boat payment coming due and needs a little cash. I don't know.) Finally he reaches into his little bag of toys and pulls out this new tool that he has just purchased. He excitedly smiles as if he has been waiting for that perfect moment to implement this new never-fail procedure assuring me that from what he has read, this will work pretty slick. I can't help but think of what this bill is going to amount to. It worked.
(Thank God!)
 |
Four boards cut and joined together to make a panel.
|
I often wondering if years from now history books will have pictures of the medieval ways that one man would use to extract a tooth out of another man back in the year 2016. You know, like today when you watch those old western movies that show how one guy would try to remove a bullet from another guy's shoulder with a knife or pliers or something on that order.
Anyway, this prized tooth - the one that has ground up a lot of buttered popcorn over the years - is gone. Sad. Needless to say the wood shop time came to a crawl as I fluttered around the house on pain pills and antibiotics for a week.
 |
| All the parts are measured and cut to size |
It was during this time that I went through my pile of old plans that I seemed to have collected over time. When I am looking through patterns and plans, I can't help but think that I will build that some day. Those paper plans are in a dream pile that is stored right next to my never-ending wood scrap pile that I seem to save. I picked out about a half a dozen different projects that I want to work on over the next few weeks.
 |
| Does it look like a dog bed? |
For this project I will be using some old scrap lumber that I had salvaged from a few things that I dismantled last year. Lots of screw and nail holes, but with a little sandpaper and elbow grease everything came together well. I am not sure that I like this color of stain, but this is not a prime piece of furniture so it could be a good place to use it up. The plan describes this as a dog bed box, but I downsized it a little thinking it could work as a cat bed. Anyway it turned out okay. It did not cost anything to make which allows me to pay my dental bill which allows my dentist to buy more tools.
(And the story ends that one of us gets to buy new tools anyway. )
 |
| Hey!!! What the heck!!! I think that is my comfort blanket from when I was suffering from my tooth extraction. |
Well it appears that the box might get a little use. My wife thinks this is a neat item for her little kitty.
(I'm thinking when the cat accidentally gets lost some day, this box bed will work for a small dog too. Just a thought... Hmm. )
I think she likes it!! I think you are softening as you get older :-)
ReplyDelete