Monday, February 8, 2016

Lawn Chair # 3

   January 2016 in Iowa has been one of those cold snowy months and it appears that February is not going to be any different.    You would think that while being locked in the house with all this available time on your hands that one who claims to be a woodworker would find himself in the shop more often.   Well, that has not been the case.




   As a grandpa, one has to check out a few basketball games, doing a little baby sitting,  (Although none of them are babies anymore so I'm thinking that they feel like they are doing some grandpa sitting) and for the various organizations that I do some bookkeeping for it is year end time.  (I am thinking that I am getting quite adept at coming up with excuses for not blogging every week any more.)





      The picture to the right is one of the arms for the three chairs.    Early in the fall I was a little concerned as to whether this cedar wood that I was using would dry down enough so that it would not warp after assembly.   Well, I can verify that it is plenty dry.   One has to be very careful when driving screws into each board cause if you are not careful this wood will crack and split some.





   Assembly of the chairs went quite well.    With the cold being outside and the basement shop being warm I found myself enjoying putting these chairs together.  There is always an audio book playing in the background.  One that lets me act out my detective role dodging bullets as I track down the villain.  
    Each chair has a little blimp or bump in the wood that is not too noticeable or that doesn't really stick out, but it is there and I guess that is what will give each chair its own little character.
    The next step will be to apply to all the chairs a good couple coats of spar varnish.  This is something I will want to do in the garage with open doors once it warms up a little.   I am afraid the odor would be a little stinky and hazardous if I do that in the basement shop.  (It's hard enough for me  to act normal the way it is.)


    This has been a fun project.   I am almost able to say I saw the wood come from the log to being placed in the chair.   It took a little longer than I wanted it to, but what can I say.   Some day when I get the varnish put on I will take another snap shot for you so you can see the end result.    Once that it is done, in the pickup they go.   Who knows?   Delivery may occur during another basketball game or when it is time to have another little "one on one" conversation with one of those youngsters.

3 comments: