| Scraps that were laying around the storage bin |
| So far everything I needed I have found laying around home. |
The problem with some of those woodworking tasks being done in the basement is dust control around the house. Generally I'm running my shop vac as much as possible plus I have my own homemade air filtration system. My main problem is that I just don't have enough arms to hold the tool, hold the wood in place, and hold the shop vac hose close enough to catch all the dust.
| The base and my little hose holder thingy. |
One day last week I was scanning through some wood working help tips and I saw a picture of a stand being used to hold the vac hose over your work area. I realized that I had two options. One was that I could get my wife to stand in the corner of my shop and hold the vac hose next to the power tool while I would be working on something or I could modify this plan I was reading about and make it hold the hose for me.
| Originally I was going to mount casters on the bottom side, but later I was thinking that by doing it this way the stand might be more stable. |
I have to admit that Pam willingly offered to help a time or two. Sometimes she just was not available. Some of those times there was a problem for me with the questions that she would be asking. You know - questions like "I didn't know you had one of these tools. When did you buy that??" Or "How come you never make something like that for me." Or "Is that what was in that box that UPS delivered the other day?" "How much did that thing cost?"
| The vac hose being held over the router table. |
Actually she is pretty good about letting me have my way in the shop. But I have noticed that following those times when she has a few of those discovery questions directed at me a week or so later there suddenly appears a new blouse or two in the closet.
Everything used in this project was from scraps that I had laying around. Even the extra vac hose. I did go out and purchase what is called an "Auxiliary Hose Port". I clamped it onto a smaller flex hose I had laying around which now gives me the flexibility to connect to several hand held portable tools to the vac hose. So far it works really well.
( Hmm. Did I just happen to see another new pair of shoes in her side of the closet?)
Looks like a nice jig.
ReplyDelete