Saturday, February 17, 2018

Valentines Heart

A picture of a hard board template and a piece of plywood. 
   Let's see.   Did I get my wife some flowers for valentines day?   No.    Did I get her some candies for valentines day?    No.   Failed on that one too.    Did I at least get her a card?   Geeze I thought about it, but cards seem so expensive now days.   So no card either.     Did I get down on my knees and express my true love to her?   Well,  I wanted to, but with all the joint ache problems I have been having this past year I was afraid that once I was down I would not be able to get back up. 

Template on top of plywood and plywood cut to size.
 



    So, did I get a card from her?   Yes I did.   I nice one with a special hand written note inside of it.   Did I get any candies from her?  No I didn't, but instead she made me my favorite raisin cream pie.  Did she say anything about loving her old, overweight, bald husband?   Yep!   She sure did.



Made a square hole in the back for a clock movement. 

   I do feel some guilt about this whole valentine process.     Don't you feel that it has gotten so commercialized?   The demands that society places on a man every February 14th.    I asked google some questions and this is the answer I got:      Total spending for the holiday is expected to top $18.2 billion, according to the National Retail Federation. That's an average of $136.57 per person.




Plywood heart is stained and edges painted black
     I am not sure, but doesn't $136.57 per person seem like a lot?   Really now.   A person can buy a pretty nice "Random Orbital Hand Sander"  for that kind of money.    I mean flowers will only last for a couple days.   And candy is there one minute and gone the next.  And a card?      Can't a person just scribble a note on a scratch pad and accomplish the same thing?   And that note is in your own handwriting.   How much more personal can you get? 


The clock movement installed in the back of the heart


      Yep.    I definitely think things have gotten out of hand when it comes to the 14th of Feb.  I mean after all it is just another day on the calendar.    Still, for me, there is a little guilt trip going on inside my tummy.    I know that the day has passed and I feel like I should have done a little something.   I have been thinking that maybe I will take my sweetie on a trip to Menards.    We may even splurge and go to that fast food taco joint that we both like so much.   And rather than waste money on a card I was thinking that I would just buy some much needed sandpaper and with a sharpie write a little love note on the back side.    
 
There is this plastic wall hanging for pictures that I fastened
to the plywood heart using two sided tape. 
The hands to the clock will be mounted in the center
once all the personal pictures are in  place. 
   And when the time comes that she is tired of reading that heart felt note I can always use that sandpaper in the shop.
   Yes.   The more I think about it the more I realize that that is what I am going to try do to make up for not doing what I should have done on the 14th. 
    Oh by the way, the picture above is a project that I was asked to do for a friend.    It was their idea and actually I think it turned out kind of nice.     Somebody's sweetie is really going to be happy this 2018 valentines day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment