Sunday, July 1, 2018

Bathroom Remodel # 2

Shower area - Just about done
    I think I understand why people hire outside contractors to do their remodeling.    It cost more, but stuff seems to get done faster.   The shower is done.   The shower door is installed.   The water fixtures are hooked up and ready to go.  The drain is ready to swallow any head hairs that might fall out when I take my first shower.    I still have to do something with the ceiling and a light someday, but that is on a later schedule.   (At this pace I'm willing to make the commitment that there is a completion date sometime in 2018.)  




Vanity area before it all started 
  













     The next step is the vanity.   The old came out and the one that I had thrown together last winter was going to be put in.
For those who wonder - the stain color is "Gunstock "











Just some old oak boards out of the scrap pile
  I was surprised the other day as I read that lumber prices were going to increase as much as 20%.   I was thinking that might happen due to all the fires out west, but found out that a lot of our lumber today comes out of Canada.  Due to the recent trade dispute between USA and Canada there are now tariffs being added on to any lumber coming across the border.   Sometimes one thinks that all this political stuff doesn't affect ones self, but guess what...


The face of  my new vanity



    It will be interesting to see how all this affects the profitability of DAG's workshop  in the future. (Wait I'm suppose to be making a profit here?)   I may have to resort to limiting my projects to smaller items like more building  blocks etc.     (Don't be tossing those discarded pieces of wood in the camp fire.  I may just come over and pick them up. )




My new vanity and "My" new throne. 

    The new vanity case with an attached sink was placed where it is suppose to end up.   The plumber arrived, hooked up the water lines and the drain connection.    One could actually start to use his bathroom if one wanted to, but I am starting to get used to getting out of bed and jumping into the shower that is right there.  If I went back to using the basement shower  I would have to move all my underwear, toothpaste, and my many hygiene items (that one my age needs) back down the basement.  I will have to do that someday, but I'm not ready to do that yet.


This is going to be as much fun
as sanding a rough board

 One of the things that I discovered was that once you have removed  the old shower, vanity, and stool and all the walls have been repaired, plastered, and textured, one should do his painting at that time.   That is not what I did.     No - I waited till all the replacement stuff was installed and then I decided to paint.   (Not a good idea.)



My true artistic talent is coming out.   













    The room was kind of a creamy white before.   We decided to paint the walls a light gray.  (I think Pam has a color scheme to apply to "My" bathroom.  Who knows. I suppose next there will be seashells and stuff..) It took a couple coats.   After that it still took a little touching up here and there but the painting is done.









     The vanity face was stained and varnished and mounted to the case.  So far all seems to be going well. 

   Next week I plan to work on the mirror frame and install it back on the wall.    Once I have done that I will be able to safely shave in my little  gray "men's" bathroom. 

   In the mean time I feel for those where it is so dry around their home that fires seem to be a constant threat.   On the flip side I also feel for those where there has been so much rain that water is circling the foundation of their house.     Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment