Monday, September 17, 2018

WorkSharp WS3000

The Manual for WS 3000
    Once in awhile I see a tool that I think would be very useful for me and the best part is it falls into my price range.    There are those times that one of my fellow wood working buddies and I get into this discussion about how much money one should spend on tools.    I'm kind of on a limited fund as to what I can spend on tools and I tend to end up with a tool that is not quite the highest quality,( yet not the real cheap quality either) but I feel that with the constant monitoring of the tool settings and maybe the creation of a few "DAG" homemade jigs, I can make what I have work.   


Two pieces of scrap plywood being set up to
glue together to make one piece 1 1/2 inch thick
  All that being said, it doesn't mean that I am making fun of high priced - high quality tools.   As they say - "you get what you pay for".  I will say that I have had my moments where I have dreamed of the a wood shop with high quality tools. 
  One of my weaknesses (I know it is hard to believe that I have a weakness) is that I struggled to get a sharp edge on some of the hand tools that I use.   I discovered that a lot when I was using my lathe quite a bit last winter.    It works so much easier if your lathe tools are sharp. 



After the glue dries I cut the glued piece to size 
    Last spring I caught a "You Tube" video that showed a Work Sharp tool being used.   This tool uses sand paper on a glass wheel to sharpen your tools.    The sand paper sticks to the glass and one can use several different grits of sand paper.    If you purchased a grinding wheel it would last a lot longer than sand paper does, but it will only be one grit.    So this was a plus for me. 





This will be a plywood base that I will mount
the sharpener on.  
 

   Anyway, I have used these different grits of sandpaper on the various lathe tools or chisels that I own in the shop and I feel that I now have the sharpest edge on those tools than I ever had in the past.







Need any of your chisels sharpened?

   I mounted this sharpener on a homemade base  with a couple of handles.   This will allow me to pick it up and store it out of the way under my workbench when done using it.   Plus if necessary,  I can clamp the base to the top of my workbench so it can not move when in use. 









These Chisels are so sharp they could cut the whiskers off
a certain cat before she even knew what happen.    Here kitty kitty.....


   I usually do not write about any of the tools I purchase, but since this in my fathers day, birthday, and Christmas of 2022 gift,  I thought it would be appropriate to mention.   Who knows maybe there will be a big bonus thank you from Work Sharp people for writing this promotion.  Maybe a dream shop is in the works.     (It is safe to say that I won't hold my breath for that magic to happen.)

1 comment:

  1. Might have to stop in sometime (with some dull tools) and you can show me how it works;-)

    ReplyDelete