Sunday, September 2, 2018

Notebook

  Another granddaughter - Whitney - left for college a couple weeks ago.   That now makes a total of two grand kids off to college.   Also a total of 6 grand kids in school from second grade to Sophomore.     And one granddaughter that is a few years from starting school.    My,  how time flies.  (Am I getting old or what?) 






    Before Whitney left for college she e-mailed me a Pinterest project to look at.   The Pinterest project was a notebook with the cover that was made out of wood.    Although the e-mail did not suggest that I should make her one of these note books I wanted to give it a try.   (It's a grandpa thing.   One of those "Give me a board and a picture and I can make anything" plays.)   It did seem like it should be a simple little project and I just happened to have some thin oak wood lying in my pile of scrap wood.




   The first thing I did was go to an Office Supply store and buy a package of note paper.   What I really wanted was something that would give me the dimensions of  what size I should cut the wood.    I went with oak (Mostly because I had it on hand) because oak is a strong hard wood and these covers were only going to be a quarter of an inch thick. 




    I rounded over the outside edges and sand - sand - sanded! 

    I stained the wood with a "gunstock" color and I applied about four coats of varnish.   I purchased four loose leaf rings from the same office supply store.    Here is where I may have goofed up as the rings that I purchased may be  larger rings than what was needed. 





     It was hard to tell and I think I will have to question Whitney later on after she has had a chance to use it,  if that is the case or not.   She may be getting a spare smaller set of loose leaf rings for a Christmas present (since I am such a big spender). 








     Anyway it turned out nice.   It should easily fit into a backpack and I think she will like it.

    The ideas that one can get on Pinterest!   

1 comment: