Some time has passed since my last post, but it's Spring and there seems to be a lot of fun things to do lately. More fun than working in the shop? Yeah. More fun than pestering the cat. Possibly...

The last thing I had been working on in the garage was the garden tool rack and I had ended up with three pieces of wood. One was a birch plywood board that was 12 foot long. What I did at the picture at the right was to create slots in which you can hang your tools in. I put three smaller slots in the sides
(thinking it would be a good place to hang fishing poles etc) and than I spaced larger slots every l6 inches in the front. I'd drill a 2 inch hole first, then use my saber saw to cut back to the hole. These slots would be the place where I would hang my garden tools.

Once I had all the slots cut, I attached the 2x6 to the plywood shelf. Because I had glued up 2 2/4's for this project, my 2x6 actually ended up being at least 6 inches wide. And because I made up my own 2x6 support pieces, they ended up being a little less the five inches wide. I left the birch plywood and the back 2x6 as raw wood. The supports I stained an oak color using up some old stain left in a can. The picture to the left shows the back after it has been screwed to the shelf. The supports are just setting in place when the picture was taken. Still trying to position them. I ended up putting two long screws through the back and into the supports. Then I placed three long screws from the top down into the support. This seemed to solidify the whole project.

I went around the slots and edges with a round over router bit which smoothed out all the borders. A little sanding here and there and then I put on three coats of varnish (
although I'm not sure why - it is just a tool rack). Like the stain, I had some old varnish that needed to be used up.
I mounted it up to the wall using some lag screws. I hung up some of the garden tools that had been laying around the garage. I tried my fishing pole idea.
( I'm not sold on that one just yet.) It looks like I will have room for a few more tools. Maybe I can hang my snow shovels and other stuff...
(For a test, I did add some weight on the shelf. Everything seemed to hold.)
It is very interesting for me to read that post about Garage tools. Very seldom do I discovered a blog that both educational and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
ReplyDelete