Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Returning To The Cabin

   It has been awhile since I have talked about my trips to the cabin in Okoboji.  Usually every other Thursday I pack my tools (While others are packing their boat) and catch a ride for the Lake Okoboji Lutheran Bible camp.    Last Thursday when I was there, I took a few pictures of what has been going on and thought I would share those with you this week.

   As I have stated before, this cabin is one of the older cabins that was located at the Okoboji Lutheran Bible camp and it is one of the cabins that was being used for family groups.   It was a cabin that had not been updated for years and was without air conditioning (which seems to be an important item anymore).    We still have a lot to do to finish this cabin out and the first registration for this cabin has been excepted for the week of June 25th.     (To some that date is a ways off, but for me it seems to be coming up fast).   Every Thursday there are three or four of us working to get it ready.    The picture above is an outside shot showing the deck that has been added.    The whole cabin is being designed to be handicap accessible and so the deck has both a stairway access and a ramp that goes around the outside to the deck.  Either way the deck leads to a side door.    The cabin was named the "Dakota" cabin long time ago and it will continue to be named that.    You can see from this side that there is some newer wood and there is still some older wood on the peak.   The goal is when completed to repaint the cabin the brown color that is on the peak.    There are several cabins in this area and they are all painted this brown.  

    The picture to the right shows the loft that has been added.    Before.  the cabin had one floor and there was an attic up above.   We have completely opened up the ceiling and on the back half of the cabin we built an area for kids to sleep.    We are lining the interior of the cabin with these finished pine boards.    On both the back and the front walls, we ran the boards at a slant to give the walls a little versatility.   We did add the window here, and still need to frame around it.    This loft is only five feet high in the middle (Yep - just for small people to sleep in) and it will have a mattress placed on the floor.   It will have a ladder on the side to access the loft.

     The area that I am standing in is where the kitchen counter and some cupboards will be.     The layout of the cabin has been designed from a scratch pad and a few pencils.    Basically the "build as you go" plan with the idea that a wheel chair should be able to motor around inside - bathroom and all.  There is one bedroom that will hold a queen size bed.   There will be two bunk beds in the family room area and then the loft up above.   It is coming together quite nicely.   (I was hoping that there would be some scraps that I could bring home for my wood pile, but that is not the case.    We have not wasted very much)   The picture to the left is me strumming my imaginary guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment