I did come up with a couple plans of which I liked some of the features of both, so we are working off of an idea (no plan) this time. Of course, the idea is to make it out of some of the scraps laying around the wood pile, so that is what most of this week is about.
I started out needing one 2x6 that has to be somewhere between 11 and 12 feet long. (I love these plans that come together as the week progresses. We'll see what things look like when I'm done.) Since all I had on hand was 3 2x4's that were 8 foot long, I got out the old Titebond glue bottle and made my own 12 foot 2x6 out of the 3 boards that I had on hand.
I also had some rough stock 2x6's on hand that were 3 to 4 feet long. I ran those through the surface planers and came up with some clean 2x6 short boards.
I had some birch plywood on hand of which I ripped out 2 lengths or chunks of boards that were 12 inches wide. One I saved and the other length I cut into 2 four foot pieces. I need to come up with a shelf that is 12 foot long, so one of those four foot pieces went back to the wood storage pile.
Gluing any board edge to edge is not to smart since wood does not bond well end to end. Gluing plywood edge to edge is even more ridiculous, but I need a 12 foot long piece. (This is something that is another one of those experimental things that will be of value to many other woodworkers someday - as if they do not already know the answer.) What I did do to help strengthen the joint was to glue in 3 biscuits bonding the two pieces together. When dried, it did seem to be somewhat solid. (We'll see.)
As most of you know, last Wednesday, the 25th of April was Administrative Professionals Day. Being retired and spending most of my day walking around the house and either talking to myself or the cat, I thought that I should recognize my faithful assistant (can't bring myself to say professional in this case. ---- Yes, I know that they are just some flowers I found around the yard, but it is the thought that counts isn't it? Your so crabby when it comes to picture time. Yes, I could have spent more, but the budget is tight this year. What do you mean you would rather have catnip...)
No comments:
Post a Comment