Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Labor Day Get-Away

Bianca - Age 7
     I have to admit that so far this year there have not been a lot of projects that I have helped the kids with.     I'm not sure why that is.    I think everybody's family is growing and everybody has schedules to attend to and time just seems to be flying by.    So this past weekend Pam and I were looking for somewhere that we could escape.   Just for one night.    Some place that would fit into my budget.    .    
Sidney - Age 1 - Our youngest grandchild
    Now it was Labor Day weekend last week.    Some couples go to the lake to get away.     Some go to a flea market.     And for some, since gas is somewhat cheap, they just jump into their car and make a road trip.      For us?   We call around and see which of our kids are going to be home and are willing to put up with us for a night and then - zoom - we move in.    We jumped into the pickup and made the 100 mile trek to our son Shawn and his family's home.     Free room and meals.     (My kind of get-away...) 

  Now for grandpas it would be a time to take the grand-kids on a bike path or something.    Or maybe it would be a time to throw in the fishing poles and head down to the lake.      For me it is a time to pull out the power tools and build something.

Evan - Age 10



  Shawn had this set of metal kitchen cabinets that came out of an earlier home of theirs and  he had moved them with him to his current address, so we spent the day installing or mounting those cabinets in the back corner of his basement in what is a combination laundry  and utility room.






   So, instead of fishing we went through the basics of applying a nice bead of bonding glue to boards using a chalking gun.    Instead of a trip to the lake, we made a road trip to Lowe's.    (That was fun).     While on the road we looked for signs of a possible flea markets being available this day, but did not find anything that we could check out.  




   We picked up some 2x4's and some wallboard and we went to work building a wall that we could hang stuff on.    We built it over the concrete block and gave it a nice coat of white paint when we were done.  



      About four hours later we had hung the cabinets on the new wall we had just built and presto -  All kinds of new storage.  









      That evening Pam and I  headed back home.    As far as the Labor Day weekend?    What can I say.    The grilled food  was good.      It was a beautiful day for a road trip.   I got to play with someone else's tools.    Most likely the fish weren't biting anyway.    And who needs to pick up some unwanted stuff at some old crowded flea market anyway.  
    I got to spend some time with the grand-kids which was great and also with their two cats which was ------   well what should I say..    

   

1 comment: