Friday, September 29, 2017

Tool Purchases

    Maybe it is an addiction.    Maybe it is one of those things that I will have to declare as a weak side of my human being.    I don't know what comes over me.     When I am in the store and I see that Cheerios are on sale and I know that they are cheaper than what they normally cost, I will buy a new box of Cheerios. That is because someday I will need another box of Cheerios once that old open box runs out.   And if I don't buy that extra box when it is on sale, I will be kicking myself for missing that sale opportunity.

   This past week I was helping a wood working buddy sell his tools.  He recently had a stroke and while he did not want to quit his wood working hobby his kids did not want to see him working with power tools any more.   I guess the kids won the argument -  thus he had a big garage sale.    I did not need any more new wood working tools.   Maybe I did need to upgrade some of the tools that I have on hand and I felt that some of these used tools were priced to fit into my budget.   (Kind of like Cheerios.)

   There were some smaller tools that I purchased (or helped my fellow wood working buddy get rid of).     There was a router, some lathe tools, some router jigs that had not even made it out of the package,  lots of dowels and a dowel jig, plus some calibrating tools.   Surprisingly, all those somehow seemed to fit into the back of my pickup before I drove away.   Oh it was a fun day.    At least until I got home.    I have been informed that I now have all my Christmas, Anniversary, Birthday, and Father's day presents until 2025.  (Before I was up to 2022.)

    The DeWalt planer came with a homemade cart which was a little flimsy.   The current top was made out of 1/2 inch particle board.  The planer weighs 94 pounds so that particle board was bending pretty good.     It was one of those deals that if you buy the planer you need to take the cart.    So my project this week was strengthening the original cart.   I put a new top on it, braced the sides a little, and bolted the planer down on the new top.   Before that it was tied down to the top with a couple wood screws.


 

  The cart is very stable now and should work good for me.   I also purchased a dust collector which was shown in a picture earlier.  I don't know where or how I am going to use that.   It is something that I would like to connect to the planer when it is in operation and also I feel it would work well with my table saw.   I'm going to have to do a little home work or study up on dust collectors before I install that one anywhere in the shop. 

   I know that in the last blog I mentioned that I was going to work on a portable kitchen next, but that project was placed in a corner of the shop to be resurrected someday later on.  (Along with those four or five other projects that need to be finished someday.)




    Yeah,   I know your cat food dish has been empty for awhile.    I was just figuring that if I could prevent purchasing the next 11 bags of cat food and the next 4 boxes of liter stuff along with not taking you to the vet for any shots the next two years I could just about save enough to cover the spending spree I went on this past week.

   Don't most cats catch mice and birds and do their business in the black dirt or kids' sand boxes?     

1 comment: